Rogue Heroes – British TV series is based on the published book SAS Rogue Heroes by the author Ben Macintyre. Herein the SAS stands for Special Air Service, which was formed during the Second World War.
Thus during the Second World War (1939-1945) – the Special Air Service (SAS) was formed as a special force unit of small bands of elite soldiers by the British Army in 1941. Initially, during the World War Two period, their basic task was to undertake small-scale Guerrilla warfare behind enemy lines. In other words, we can state that this series tells a madcap World War II story.
Table of Contents
Rogue Heroes (S1/2022) Series:- synopsis
It is a dramatized account of how the world’s greatest Special Forces unit, the Special Air Service was formed under extraordinary circumstances in the darkest days of World War II.
Based on Ben Macintyre’s best-selling book of the same name, the series centres on David Stirling, an eccentric young officer who is hospitalized after a training exercise gone wrong. Convinced that traditional commando units don’t work, Stirling creates a radical plan that flies in the face of all accepted rules of modern warfare.
He fights for permission to recruit the toughest, boldest, and brightest soldiers for a small undercover unit that will create mayhem behind enemy lines. More rebels than soldiers, Stirling’s team is every bit as complicated, flawed, and reckless as it is brave and heroic.
Rogue Heroes (S1/2022) Series:- a brief review
This is where it all started. Created in 1941, the Special Air Service (SAS) was the first modern special forces unit in the world. Since its inception, this unit’s unorthodox warfare methods have gained fame and recognition. I also came to know that the SAS unit has inspired the next generations of elite special forces the world over, which in turn has led to many movies and series.
In other words, one can state that SAS has led to the origin of the elite commando units of the armed forces around the world. And I loved this slice of the SAS history and their heroism in the World War II era. Like us, you can watch this funny and crazy tale – about the serious business of the Second World War being fought in the harsh terrain of the Sahara desert of Africa.
So, why do we love this swashbuckling WWII series, okay, we shall share a few reasons.
- We have seen and admired the past work of its creator Steven Knight, which include the hit show Peaky Blinders, and crime movie like Eastern Promises.
- Being Indian, we always liked a little bit of masala mix of romance, action, comedy, drama, thriller, and the usual rogue soldier banter stuff. Interestingly, most of their battles take place in the harshest Sahara desert of Africa.
- Incidentally, at the time of transmission – it was one of the most expensive TV shows made for UK television viewers. So it boasts of excellent casts and great production values. Even the guns and rifles used in this series are authentic World War II weapons.
- Assuming that you are an ardent war movie/series buff, especially those wartime stories of World War I and II periods; then you must watch this action-packed and swashbuckling TV series based on true-ish tales from the World War II era.
- We are a bit of a history fan. So we are always interested in learning more about the Second World War, which happened between the Axis forces (Germany, Italy, and Japan) and Allied forces (Great Britain, France, United States of America, Soviet Union, and, others). This series is based on real-life tales of WWII, and it depicts – how SAS units helped the Allied forces to turn the table on Axis forces in North Africa.
So, in this action thriller series, both, the Axis powers and the Allied forces, were locked in key battles in the North African countries and the islands in the Mediterranean Sea. With both sides refusing to concede any grounds in the Sahara deserts as well as in the European nations, the devil-may-care attitude of the SAS forces tipped the scale in the Allied forces’ favour. Therefore, we look forward to season 2 of this WW2 series and its new adventures.
Rogue Heroes (S1/2022) Series:- details
|Genre||Action, Drama, Thriller|
|Episodes||Six (6) episodes in Season-1|
|Cast||Connor Swindells, Jack O’Connell, Alfie Allen, Sofia Boutella, etc.|
|Post Credit||Based on a true story, the events depicted which seem most unbelievable … are mostly true.|
Rogue Heroes (S1/2022) Series:- poster
Rogue Heroes (S1/2022) Series:- ratings
|IMDb rating as of the date||8.10/10|
|Rotten Tomatoes ratings as of the date||100% Tomatometer and 87% Audience Score|
|Critics Consensus / Rotten Tomatoes||With a terrific cast inhabiting this roster of likeable rapscallions, this show is a fun throwback to down-and-dirty adventure stories.|
Rogue Heroes (S1/2022) Series:- trailer
Focus:- the “SAS: Rogue Heroes” book
Inspired by Ben Macintyre’s SAS: Rogue Heroes book, this series depicts the real-life events of the World War II era in a fictionalized form. In the initial years of the formation of the SAS unit, their Rogue Heroes fought in the deserts of Northern Africa against the Axis Powers consisting of German and Italian armed forces. These SAS soldiers were often dropped behind enemy lines in North Africa and Europe. These highly trained soldiers are well known for their specialized skill sets.
They were used in specific military operations like – hostage rescue, close-combat fighting, guerrilla attacks, covert surveillance, etc. With their fearless attitude and dare-devil approach, this commando unit of British troops handed a few demoralising defeats to the Axis forces. Their suicidal attacks did manage to change the course of history, as the Axis powers failed to take control of Cairo and the crucial Suez Canal. Thereby, Allied forces live to fight another day.
Read about another series created by Steven Knight FM article: Peaky Blinders: Razor Sharp British Period Drama
Featured & Other Images: Rogue Heroes | Facebook & IMDb.